Friday, January 27, 2012

So, I'm a Kindle Slut, too


So...like everyone else in the first world, I got a Kindle for Christmas.

Not the fancy Fire, but a stripped down model.

I love it. For those of you not in the know...I am in recovery and my body and throat are in shambles. Sitting around reading is what I do best.

And my wee Kindle is...well...kinda addictive. And again, I don't have the fancy Fire.

Cute, easy, long life, and lots of cheap transgendered erotica for purchase. Oh yes, great literature is to be had, for free! My favorite gothic novels, Whitman (his long lines are butchered by the Kindle formatting), a novel a friend from college wrote, and I picked up a great meditation book gathered from recovery centers across the globe.

I am a dictionary slut, so the easy to use dictionaries make me squirm, in a good way.

Frankly, I've been inspired to compile my own kindle novel-part poetry-part erotica-part identity search-part diary...

3 comments:

  1. I for one would be grateful if you'd blog more - like your stuff! Especially interesting is your take on the transgender narrative in Infinite Jest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Kindle Slut too! And I came at it from a totally different route. You see I was an early adopter of the first Google Android phone. Amazon in their infinite wisdom made certain there was an app for that. And it kinda good me hooked. Mind reading on so small a screen was a bit hard on the eyes, but there were so many free and low cost books, it was like when I was a teen and my Mom and I would get all the latest Harlequin romance novels as they came out in paperback. This was the 70s and paperbacks were anything from 0.99 cents to 3.99, so not a lot of money.

    With Kindle books, I've found LOTS of mailing lists and blogs with links to free books, and of course inexpensive ones (3.99 or less) that give me all sorts of new stuff to read.

    So over the last few years I've been upgrading my phone, and of course using the Kindle for PC software as well, but truth to tell, it wasn't quite like a paperback in hand, and the screens on my phones (even my latest Samsung Galaxy S4) while a better size, were still hard on the eyes. Even my 10 inch Tablet, while lovely, was still hard on the eyes, and not really a stick a paperback in my purse and go up to the park to read.

    So I finally got myself a new Paperwhite and a wee leather case. Perfect for carrying around in my purse, reading in the park, in bed, everywhere. So I'm a Kindle Slut too. You're so not alone.

    So there, I said it! :)

    ReplyDelete