Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Class discussion: hats and gender


In a discussion on gender today, one of my classes classified caps as masculine, hats as feminine. Interestingly enough they noted that visors were in the middle (TG) and fedoras and cowboy hats were masculine. Lady Gaga inventions were labelled "supernatural"

TRANSform Me was good, saw my first ep on Monday. I wanted more TRANS back stories and perspective (which was doled out in small manageable doses for the middle class). The Glambulance needs a make-over.

2 comments:

  1. Zosimus the HeathenMarch 25, 2010 at 1:26 AM

    Interesting. I'd imagine hats as a whole would've been considered more masculine (or simply unisex) a few decades ago, when it was more common (even expected) for men to wear them. As for caps, I'd imagine bathing caps - particularly those of the fancy, flowery variety (a sort I must admit having developed a bit of a fetish for myself) - would be one kind that'd be considered feminine. Shower caps too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing. I was bit surprised. I notice most of my female students these days are less girlie and feminine than other generations. Can't tell if it's a trend or country casual living

    ReplyDelete