Thursday, April 23, 2009

Girls being Boys




The Changeling
Judith Ortiz Cofer

As a young girl
vying for my father's attention,
I invented a game that made him look up
from his reading and shake his head
as if both baffled and amused.

In my brother's closet, I'd change
into his dungarees -- the rough material
molding me into boy shape; hide
my long hair under an army helmet
he'd been given by Father, and emerge
transformed into the legendary Ché
of grown-up talk.

Strutting around the room,
I'd tell of life in the mountains,
of carnage and rivers of blood,
and of manly feasts with rum and music
to celebrate victories para la libertad.
He would listen with a smile
to my tales of battles and brotherhood
until Mother called us to dinner.

She was not amused
by my transformations, sternly forbidding me
from sitting down with them as a man.
She'd order me back to the dark cubicle
that smelled of adventure, to shed
my costume, to braid my hair furiously
with blind hands, and to return invisible,
as myself,
to the real world of her kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. Cassidy,

    on a slightly lighter note, have you read Terry Pratchett's book Monstrous Regiment?

    Although based in a fantasy world, it's about a girl who pretends to be a boy in order to join her country's army, go to the front line and find her lost brother.

    It's funny, but also very, very poignant.

    chrissie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete